FAMILY, YOUTH AND COMMUNITY SCIENCES
FAMILY, YOUTH AND COMMUNITY SCIENCES
Practicum is a core requirement for the Family, Youth and Community Sciences (FYCS) major and both the Nonprofit Organizational Leadership minor and the Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) certificate program. Practicum serves as an opportunity for you, the student, to begin exploring your future as an emerging professional.
Our expectation for this experience is that you will enroll in FYC 4941, a 3-credit practical experience (equivalent to 240 hours) within a professional environment, applying the knowledge and skills you have gained throughout your coursework. This requirement will be most beneficial to you, the student, if completed during your senior year at UF.
These experiences can either be paid or volunteer.
You must be free of any holds on your degree audit before submitting your Practicum Proposal.
Once your Practicum Proposal has been received and approved by the Practicum Coordinator, we will enroll you in FYC 4941.
For Practicum information, please see Dr. Emily Johnson in 3041 McCarty D
For non-profit minors, please see Kathryn Ivey in 3041 McCarty D
For Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) certificate, please see Dr. Jen Doty in 3038 McCarty D
- Pre-Practicum Checklist
As of Fall 2019, students completing the FYCS major must complete the following with a C or better prior to being enrolled in Practicum:
- FYC 3001
- FYC 3101 or SYG 2430
- FYC 3201
- FYC3 401
- FYC 4622
- FYC 4801
Students completing the Minor in Nonprofit Organizational Leadership MUST complete FYC4409: Working with Nonprofit Organizations in Community Settings – earning a B or better – PRIOR to being enrolled in Practicum. Please note: FYC4409 is ONLY offered during the Fall semester.
Students completing the Certified Family Life Educator certificate MUST complete FYC4503: Methods of Family Life Education with a C or better and make an appointment with Dr. Jen Doty in order to make sure all prerequisites have been met AND that the intended site meets CFLE requirements.
- Practicum Tips
As you prepare yourself for this emerging professional experience, there are a few things you need to consider:
- You assume all liabilities and risks in completing your Practicum experience.
- It is your responsibility to identify who your supervisor will be for your practicum. At the mid-point and end of your experience, it is your responsibility to provide your site supervisor with the appropriate forms, verifying the completion of your required hours.
- It is your responsibility to maintain an open and consistent line of communication with both your site supervisor and the Practicum Coordinator. As an emerging professional, we encourage you to be proactive with both your course requirements and duties at your site.
- It is your responsibility to keep track of your completed hours for this experience. Please check with your site supervisor on how they prefer you to maintain a record of your hours.
- Please keep in mind that you are responsible for meeting all due dates set forth on the eLearning portal for the course. If you have any questions about required assignments or due dates, it is your responsibility to contact the Practicum Coordinator PRIOR to the due date in question.
- Previous students have found it helpful to keep a journal of events. This will provide you with an idea of what you are encountering on a daily basis. This will also be helpful in tracking your progress toward meeting your goals and in completing the required four Journal Entries throughout the semester. Additionally, it may be beneficial to make notes throughout your experience on how your work relates to our major.
Dates for Fall 2020 practicum: August 31-December 9th 2020
Packet Deadline: July 31, 2020 1 PM
Dates for Spring 2021 practicum: January 5th - April 21, 2021
Packet Deadlines: November 6, 2020 1 PM
Dates for Summer C 2021 practicum May 10th-August 4th, 2021
Packet Deadlines: April 1, 2021 1 PM
Please make an appointment with the Practicum Coordinator, Dr. Emily Johnson to review your site location, duties and responsibilities, and learning goals and objectives before final submission. This appointment should be made well in advance of due dates.
Practicum Proposals are due to the FYCS Undergraduate Advising Center (3041 McCarty D) by the following dates:
DUE DATE FOR FALL 2020 PRACTICUM PROPOSALS: 1PM, JULY 31ST